Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Visit to the Doctor

One other thing we experienced on New Year's Day that I NEVER want to experience again EVER in my life was rushing Skyler to the ER while out of town. On New Year's Eve, I was holding Bogey's phenylbarbatol (seisure medication) while grabbing Skyler's diaper bag and the lid came off, spilling the contents of the bottle in her bag. I went through the bad twice to make sure I had gotten all the pill but apparently some had gotten stuck on the white plastic backing to her changing pad. She doesn't use a changing pad for herself anymore--just for her babies--and had pulled it out the next day, leaving a small trail of pills on the floor. Luckily my brother-in-law Allan saw them and I quickly realized what they were. When I asked Skyler if she had eaten any, she said she had two and gave her baby two. I hurriedly called poison control, not knowing if she had taken any at all. She didn't have pill residue on her mouth, but I didn't know for sure--every mom's nightmare. Needless to say, we rushed to the ER to be sure.

After a miserable sticking and a quick test of her blood, it was determined she didn't take any pills at all. Praise God!!!! It was very traumatic, but Emily went with us and was so great to be a faithful aunt and hold Skyler much of the time. Skyler was very comforted by her Emmie. She was later impressed with the heart monitor tab placed on her foot (we even got one to match that was on her baby doll's head), the big "blue band-aid," and the red popsicle she enjoyed after we knew we were in the clear.




I learned a huge lesson that day. No matter how careful you try to be, BE MORE CAREFUL!! It was horrible to have all these 'what if's' running through my mind, to feel so helpless and out of control. I'm just so thankful for God's amazing grace to protect her, and she's now convinced that you never take medicine, even pretend, unless Mommy gives it to you. She was a brave girl, but we don't ever want to do that again.

Thanks also to the Powell family for going out of your way to check out the pill bottle for us, bring lunch to the hospital, and check in on us. You guys are the best!!!!!

After the whole ordeal, we wanted to make sure Skyler wasn't afraid of the doctor, so we got a doctor kit for her to practice being a doctor to her babies. It's worked wonderfully well!!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh My Goodness! I LOVE those glasses!!! Maybe I need to go to the Dr. Sky for a check-up!

Sara said...

I'm SO GLAD she's fine...and those glasses are beyond HILARIOUS!!! AND...I can't believe she's in a big girl bed. I love it!!! It's fun to catch up through your blog. =)

Emily said...

I was honored to get to be with you at the hospital...thank you for letting me be there! I also LOVE those glasses. You have one VERY funny girl. I really wish that I could be with her more!

Mama Jeannie said...

Skyler is so funny! Praise God this story has a happy ending!