Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Very Merry Christmas

Well, it is now the middle of January, and I'm finally taking the time to reflect on this Christmas. All in all I'd say it was a great time!! We started out the break finding out about our little Chloe Grace, probably the biggest highlight for me. There's just something special to me about putting a name to the little person inside of me--knowing if it is a girl or a boy, starting to plan. It's just fun!!! I think the thing I took away from this Christmas more than anything was a deeper appreciation for my family and the connections Coby and I are making with Skyler as each year goes by. Each moment is so precious, and I tried very hard to savor as much of it as I could.
Other highlights of my Christmas:
* Visiting with aunts, uncles, and cousins at Grandma and Grandpa's house.
* Watching Grandma's face light up as she spent time with her kids and watched us all enjoy each other's company.
* Hearing Grandpa's "kid version" of the reason for Christmas--again! This time as he talked about a savior coming to earth, Skyler just shook her head as if saying, "You're right, Papa!! Keep preachin' it!" It was too cute!
* Having my sister with me to go Christmas shopping. She was a huge help, and I was more than a little frazzled!!! :)
* Watching my brother finally get to relax and enjoy his family after a tough semester at school--a well-deserved break!!
* Sharing fun conversation with my sister-in-law Crystal and learning from her so many tricks of the mommy trade
* Sharing another Christmas with my sweet husband and being spoiled all over again!!!
* Watching Skyler stand with mouth wide open as she saw what Santa brought her. She had every single toy she got for Christmas out on the floor in front of her and sat amid the mess playing all day long. It was GREAT!!!
* Sitting on the couch holding my mom's hand and visiting on Christmas day
* Hearing my mom's husband Ray share his heart about his commitment to my mom, myself, and especially to my children. He's a good man, and I was very touched by his love.
* Receiving a very special diamond necklace from my in-laws. Coby's three sisters and I each got a necklace, the diamonds taken from his Granny's ring which was given to her on an anniversary from Coby's Pap. I will treasure it forever!

* Spending time with Emily and Allan as they hosted us for the holiday. Emily had a constant supply of food--VERY important to this pregnant mommy--and they were both so fun and hospitable. Thanks, guys!!
* Sharing some precious moments with Sara and Beau. A holiday isn't the same unless we're all together!! :)
* Going shopping with my sister-in-law Amy and my niece Allie. We had fun looking for matching outfits for Skyler and Chloe Grace. Cheesy, I know, but a must when you have two girls. I also enjoyed the time I got to visit with Amy. She always knows how to make me so comfortable and feel so loved!!!


Big accomplishments of the holiday:
* I cleaned and reorganized a bit. I cleaned out my closet of some clothes (Six garbage bags full AND COUNTING!!!), rearranged with Coby after the holiday was over
and....
the biggest accomplishment...


Skyler's BIG GIRL BED. :(

















It was so HARD for me!!! She's been asking for a big girl bed for awhile, and I was still rocking her to sleep, which needless to say was getting harder and harder as my belly is getting bigger and bigger, but she's my baby. It needed to happen. And yet, it was a sad, nostalgic day as I remembered how she was so small in the beginning, barely spanning the length of a rolled-up blanket, and now, my 2 1/2 year old intent on a "princess bed." Lord, give me the strength to edure the things I cannot change!!! :)





As I look back, I know that despite the busyness and stress of it all, Christmas was a huge success for us. And for me, it was so much more than presents under a tree or events to go to. It was a special time for family, for milestones, and for a deeper revelation of the privilege I've been given to be a child of God, an heiress of his throne. It was a good time, and I am thankful!!!

No comments: