Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Easter Fun

I always tend to write about holidays in the wrong order when it comes to blogging. I write other not-so-important stuff first, and then write about the holiday. Usually it's because I'm waiting on myself to upload pictures. They are uploaded, so it's time to write! ;)

Tonight I will share our Easter experience. Easter is one of my favorite holidays. It is such a great time to reflect on the ultimate sacrifice God made in giving his son for me and you on the cross. It's a time to reflect and be thankful--a time to acknowledge the mercy of our God. But, since 2001, I must admit that Easter is hard for me. We found out about my father's terminal cancer on Easter of 2001. It was an incredibly sad day for me--probably one of the top three saddest days ever. Over the years, though, it's been a good time of reflection for me, too. A time to remember all the fun our family had together, to reflect on the Lord's faithfulness to my family, and now that I have a little one of my own, to praise Him for the opportunity of sharing His love with a new generation.

I love traditions and I love that Coby's family is all about them. It is neat to me to see a blending of two worlds in the holiday seasons we encounter as parents from two different families. Unfortunately, Coby was on a business trip this Easter, so Skyler and I did Easter on our own. We still took time to share it with my family, though, and it was so nice!!! We played at Grandma B's house after church with Skyler's cousins and I got some good time visiting with my mom and siblings. I sure am thankful for my family! Thanks, guys, for sharing Easter with me!!

The night before Easter morning, Skyler asked if the Easter bunny was coming to her house. I said yes, and she said,"Will he come inside, Momma?" in a nervous little voice. I said, "No, Sweet Girl, he just knocks on the door and asks if Mommy will give you treats for the morning. Then he hands me your Easter basket and goes home to his Mommy." This seemed to satisfy her, and she said, "Momma, if the Easter bunny comes to bring me treats, I need to leave him somethin'!" I was busy around the house and didn't notice until she had gone to bed that she had left the Easter bunny some treats, too. She shared some of her Easter gift from the next door neighbor and placed them right at the door for him!!

The next morning she was delighted with all the goodies he left her!!! She especially loved her treats in her new Easter shoes. My girl is ALL ABOUT new shoes!!! This is a Selke/Hennigh tradition that our family can't do without!!






Here's a picture of me and my girl in our Sunday best. We decided to do our Easter egg hunt on Friday night at my nephew's birthday party since Sunday was supposed to be so gross outside. Unfortunately we didn't get pictures, but we did document with our video camera.

2 comments:

Mama Jeannie said...

Well now. Isn't that just about the sweetest thing I ever heard? Leaving something for the Easter Bunny. I LOVE this story Adrielle. Skyler is such a sweetie, isn't she? What you said about our Jesus was so precious. He did it all for us, didn't He? I love Him so much!!

Dona said...

Adrielle,
You and Skylar look beautiful! Though your feet are somewhat "round" they are beautiful as well!
Love ya
Dona