Thursday, June 28, 2007

Prayer Time

Today was a busy summer day with Read Smart kids, and after I got finished working, Skyler and I went to look for bridesmaid dresses with Raschael. I wouldn't say it was fun. Not because I wasn't glad to spend time with my sisters and other bridesmaids, but because Skyler did NOT want to be there, and of course a disgruntled child in the store at any time isn't pleasant for anyone. Not to mention that every bridesmaid dress out there now shows cleavage down to your belly button!! Hello!! I have a child!! I can't DO dresses like that anymore!!!

So when we got home, had dinner, and watched our traditional "Dora the Explorer" for the night, Skyler and I went on to her room. We practiced our letter sounds as we read the colors, then put the book down to thank Jesus for our day.

I told her we needed to close our eyes, and Skyler said, "Mommy, I wanna talk."

"Ok. What do you want to talk about?"

"Daddy in da udder room?"

"Yes, Honey."

"And Beeboo? Beeboo funny! He lay on da ground, and then he go ha - ha - ha."

"Silly Beeboo!"

"Silly Beeboo!"

"OK, Sky. Let's pray. Close your eyes and fold your hands."

With this she folds her little hands around her "bank" and squints her eyes. I think she's checking to make sure I'm closing my eyes.

"Dear Jesus..."

"Dear Jesus..."

"Thank you for my..."

"Food!"

"Yes, Honey! That's good! Thank you, God, for giving us food to eat..."

"Iye keem (ice cream)"

"Mmmm... Yummy! What else?"

"And gah-gog (hot dog), and cheese, and bananas, and chicken, and fe fies (french fries)..."

"Good! And, God..."

"God..."

"Thank you for Mommy..."

"Mommy, and Daddy, and Beeboo, and Milly"

"Thank you for school..."

"And my friends..."

"Yes! And Jesus..."

"Jesus..."

"Keep me safe..."

"Safe..."

"And put angels in my room..."

"Angels in my room..."

"And help me have a good day tomorrow. In Jesus Name I Pray..."

"Aaaaamen!!!!"

I tell you, that prayer made all my frustrations of the afternoon melt away. And she kept her eyes closed the whole time!!!! What an awesome little girl! I am so blessed to have her. Sometimes it seems so hard, but I'm learning more and more that if I will take the time to "talk," or sit still, or play, or do anything else other than keep up with the busyness of the day, my relationship with her gets all the more special, all the more solid. I know I'll never learn it all, but I'm thankful for little moments like this to soften my heart and help me realize my treasures.

5 comments:

Amy said...

That is so sweet. I love that little girl!

Emily said...

What a sweet moment, I can't wait for Claire to join in on the prayers before bedtime. I loved getting to see you all this last weekend, I wish we could be around you all more!

Sara said...

I love it!!!

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness! How precious, how funny, how my heart is full with hearing how this little grand-girl is praying with her mommy. I miss my Skyler LeeAnne. I neeeed to see her soon, OK?

Mama Jeannie said...

Oh my goodness! How precious, how funny, how my heart is full with hearing how this little grand-girl is praying with her mommy. I miss my Skyler LeeAnne. I neeeed to see her soon, OK?